On top of all that, any attempts I have made to put the plans we hatched on holiday into motion have met with obstacles. So far this winter, it has been quite the challenge to keep a smile on my face and stay optimistic.
This is where comfort food comes in and the dish I have to share with you today is my idea of a hug in a mug. It combines the flavours of cauliflower cheese with the wholesomeness and warmth of soup - it's just what I needed to cheer me up this afternoon.
If you too need some comfort food to cheer you on this winter's day, here's what you need to do.
Cauliflower soup with cheese balls
This serves four. It's incredibly easy to make and takes all of twenty minutes.
Ingredients for the soup:
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 litre/2 pints vegetable stock
500g/1lb cauliflower florets
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the cheese balls:
50ml/2 fl.oz. milk
1 egg beaten
20g grated cheddar cheese
Melt half of the butter in a large pain and fry the onion and the potato for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and the cauliflower florets and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- While the soup is simmering, make the puffs. Preheat your oven to 220 C/430 F. Melt the milk and the remaining butter in a saucepan.
- When it has melted,add the flour all at once. Stir the mixture until it forms into a ball that comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Take it off the heat. Allow to cool. Then stir in the egg and cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a small nozzle. Squeeze onto a baking sheet, making small mounds that are at least one inch apart. Sprinkle with some sea salt and extra grated cheese for even more yuminess.
- Bake in the oven for five to six minutes until they have risen and turned a golden colour.
- Finish the soup while they are cooking. Puree your mixture, saving a few florets to use as a garnish. Season with salt, pepper and some freshly grated nutmeg (ground is fine too) according to your own taste.
- Ladle the soup into your soup bowls and garnish with your cheese balls, cauliflower florets and even more grated cheese.
Sit back and savour your hug in a mug.